Online dating has just been revealed to be one of the most common ways to start a relationship. But new research reveals that the concept is still highly flawed(有缺陷的).
An analysis of 400 studies into online dating shows that while it offers access to plenty of other singles, users can be overwhelmed and put off by the volume of choice, defeating the purpose.
The research, by Northwestern University and published in the journal Psychological Science in the public interest, found that the processes involved don’t lend themselves to forming strong relationships. The findings also indicated that the concept of an online profile(介绍) is not entirely useful and “can result in treating potential partners as mere objects”.
Lead author Eli J Finkel explained: “Online dating is a terrific addition for singles to meet. However, there are two problems.” First, studying over seemingly endless lists of profiles of people one does not know, as on Match.com, does not reveal much about them. Second, it “overloads people and they end up shutting down,” he said.
He compared it to shopping at “supermarkets of love” and said psychological research shows people presented with too many choices tend to make lazy and often poor decisions.
The study’s authors also questioned the algorithms(算法) employed by sites such as eHarmony.com to match people based on their interests or personality—comparing it to having a real estate agent of love. While the algorithm may reduce the number of potential partners from thousands to a few, they may be as unsuitable for each other as two people meeting at random, Dr Finkel explained, adding the chances are no better than finding a relationship by walking into any bar. “There’s no better way to figure out whether you’re a match with somebody than talking to them over a coffee or beer,” Dr Finkel said.
16. What is the author’s attitude towards online dating?
【解析】根据文章“But new research reveals that the concept is still highly flawed”可以得出答案。
17. According to Paragraph 2, online dating _____
A. Attracts a limited number of singles
B. Has been widely studied recently
C. Is criticized as lacking a purpose
D. Offers too many choice
【解析】根据文章“An analysis of 400 studies into online dating shows that while it offers access to plenty of other singles, users can be overwhelmed and put off by the volume of choice, defeating the purpose.”可以得出答案。
18. The phrase “lend themselves to”(Para.3) probably means _____
A. Be opposed to
B. Be easily used for
C. Be happy with
D. Be consistent with
【解析】根据文章“Psychological Science in the public interest, found that the processes involved don’t lend themselves to forming strong relationships.”可以得出答案。
19. Why is Dr. Finkel mentioned in the passage?
A. He is the lead researcher of the study on online dating
B. He is a well-know professor at Northwestern University
C. He is an expert in analyzing people’s shopping patterns
D. He is the president of a famous online matching website
【解析】根据文章“Lead author Eli J Finkel explained: “Online dating is a terrific addition for singles to meet. However, there are two problems.””可以得出答案。
20. According to Dr Finkel, what is the best way to find a match?
A. An evaluation on the basis of interests and personality.
B. An analysis based on proper computer algorithms
C. A comparison with other potential partners
D. A face-to-face talk with the potential partner
【解析】根据文章““There’s no better way to figure out whether you’re a match with somebody than talking to them over a coffee or beer,” Dr Finkel said.”可以得出答案。
Part III Vocabulary and structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D, choose the one that best completes the dialogue and mark your answer on the ANSEWR SHEET.
21. Fred used to _____ late with his roommates and watch movies.
A. stay in B. stay away C. stay up D. stay on
【解析】stay on 继续呆在一起。
22. The development of new energy sources _____ to be rewarding.
A. turned out B. turned up C. turned back D. turned away
【解析】turn out 结果证明。
23. Do you really have to be _____ selfish?
A. such B. that C. too D. this
24. I’m sorry to _____ your party; I weren’t in town.
A. be missed B. miss C. have missed D. be missing
【解析】be sorry to do sth. 对做某事很遗憾、很抱歉。
25. Researchers have spent five years collecting data _____ the study was based.
A. on that B. in which C. in that D. on which
【解析】be based on sth. 基于……。介词 + which 引导从句。
26. The environment-friendly flan _____ a good example for other companies.
A. puts B. makes C. lays D. sets
【解析】set example for为……树立榜样。
27. It makes _____ to figure out the situation before taking any action.
A. sense B. meaning C. idea D. reason
【解析】make sense to 有意义。
28. Staff have been holding a number of _____ to raise money for charity.
A. events B. incidents C. affairs D. cases
【解析】a number of affairs 大量工作、事务。
28. Spence has finally _____ it to the first rank of students after hard work.
A. made B. done C. got D. worked
【解析】make it to be 成为……。
30. She has got _____ from all three top Universities she has applied for.
A. promises B. offers C. acceptance D. invitations
31. With all the magazines _____, I left the post office.
A. bought B. buying C. to be bought D. to buy
32. The reporter said that the UFO _____ east to west when he saw it.
A. traveled B. was traveling
C. was to travel D. had been traveling
33. Which one of his books do you think _____ best among the best-sellers?
A. sells B. sell C. is sold D. are sold
34. He _____ the test, but he wasn’t careful enough.
A. must have passed B. should pass
C. might pass D. could have passed
【解析】could have done 本来可以……
35. Please let me know _____ you want your coffee, black or white?
A. where B. why C. how D. what
36. Visitors cannot help but _____ the beautiful design of the palace.
A. noticing B. noticed C. notice D. to notice
【解析】cannot help but do sth. 忍不住……
37. Class sizes are _____ to a maximum of 10 for a better learning experience.
A. forced B. limited C. fixed D. bounded
【解析】be limited to 被限制在...
38. Very few people understood his lecture, the subject of _____ was hard.
A. what B. it C. which D. that
39. The government will consider _____ future actions against terrorist bombers.
A. taken B. of taking C. to take D. taking
【解析】consider of doing sth. 考虑做某事。
40. I was just about to leave school _____ I heard the door bell.
A. when B. while C. after D. as
41. I don’t think the snow will _____ our plans for a picnic.
A. effect B. affect C. differ D. infer
【解析】affect：影响。affect our plans for a picnic：影响我们野餐的计划。
42. Mr. Smith will be _____ the office next week when the manager is away.
A. in charge of B. in response C. in relation to D. in place of
【解析】in charge of：负…的责任，主管，负责管理。in charge of the office：负责办公室的工作。
43. We need _____ information about the climate before we make our decision.
A. a few B. few C. a little D. little
【解析】a little：少量。用于修饰不可数名词。a few与few修饰可数名词。little也用于修饰不可数名词，但意思是：几乎没有。
44. He warned his students _____ late for the examination next week.
A. don’t be B. not be C. not to be D. to be not
【解析】warn sb. (not) to do sth.警告某人(不)要做某事。
45. The plane will take off at 6:00 pm, so I have to be at the airport 4:00 pm at the latest.
A. after B. until C. since D. by
46. Is there a gas station around _____ I can get some petrol?
A. what B. which C. that D. where
【解析】around：附近，周围。Is there a gas station around：附近有加油站吗？where引导的是gas station的定语从句。
47. It is always difficult to live in a foreign country, _____ if you don’t speak its language.
A. naturally B. extremely C. especially D. basically
48. He gives us a lot of trouble-but I like him _____.
A. by the way B. all the same C. by and by D. over and over
【解析】all the same：仍然。符合句意。
49. He didn’t go into details on the subject, but just spoke _____
A. in particular B. in general C. in short D. in common
【解析】in general：总体上。与go into details形成对比关系。
50. Language, maths and history, _____ the children are also taught music and art.
A. except for B. instead of C. in addition to D. in spite of
【解析】此题答案为C。in addition to...除...之外，包括在内。整句话的意思为：除了语言、数学和历史之外，学生们也被授以音乐和美术。
51. Lozano claimed that the motorcycle driver was trying to run him _____.
A. out B. in C. down D. up
52. We’re had to put _____ our wedding until September.
A. forward B. down C. up D. off
53. You can buy these maps at _____ railway station. They all have them.
A. any B. that C. this D. either
【解析】any：任何一个。any railway station：任何一个火车站。
54. Details of the murder were _____ by the local paper.
A. discovered B. revealed C. exposed D. found
55. Don’t play with the burning stick, boys, for it often _____ fire.
A. catches B. makes C. causes D. gets
56. I’m going to have to find a new apartment _____ soon.
A. too B. pretty C. much D. nearly
57. Humble _____ it may be, there is no place like home.
A. as B. although C. that D. how
58. No sooner _____ home than it started to rain.
A. have we arrived B. did we arrive
C. had we arrived D. shall we arrive
【解析】No sooner…than结构中，No sooner后面要用过去完成时。
59. Only when she finished all the work _____ be allowed to go home.
A. she did B. she would C. did she D. would she
60. She came _____ some old photographs in a drawer.
A. about B. across C. with D. by